freetds - Re: [freetds] slow freetds-sybase perfromance - thorough test

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] slow freetds-sybase perfromance - thorough test
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:20:02 -0600

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:14:14PM +0200, Gad Hayisraeli wrote:

> so here's my partial results:

> client server network method
> time(sec.) LPS
> -------- -------- ------- --------------------
> ---------- -----
> linux windows yes odbc++ over freetds 5.275
> 4.92
> linux fastlinux yes odbc++ over freetds 1.587
> 16.38
> fastlinux fastlinux local odbc++ over freetds 1.570
> 16.56
> windows windows local odbc++ over ASE odbc 0.14 185
> windows fastlinux yes odbc++ over ASE odbc 0.753
> 34

Which of these lines do you think supports your claim that FreeTDS has
a performance problem? The two lines I see that directly compare FreeTDS
to the Windows driver without changing any other variables are these:

> linux fastlinux yes odbc++ over freetds 1.587
> 16.38
> windows fastlinux yes odbc++ over ASE odbc 0.753
> 34

This shows a 2:1 performance hit when using FreeTDS. But, wasn't your
goal to use FreeTDS with a Windows server? Finding performance problems
there would require a comparison between FreeTDS->Windows across the
network, and *Windows*->Windows across the network.

The results you've shown for talking to the Linux server are helpful,
though. Thanks for doing the work on this!

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer