freetds - Re: [freetds] slow freetds-sybase perfromance - thorough test

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] slow freetds-sybase perfromance - thorough test
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:53:39 -0600

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 04:52:12PM +0200, Gad Hayisraeli wrote:
> finally i see HUGE speed boost, after setting packet size to 2048 in
> ASE server and freetds client + ASE odbc driver:

> maybe a new topic:
> ====================
> i did my tests on local network, so i can choose large packet sizes ,
> but if the ASE is on another lan/wan network, could i choose the same
> size, although the tcp packet size is less than local network ?
> (indeed i chose 2048 on local net, where the default tcp packet size
> is 1500 ...)

1500 is not a "default packet size", it's an MTU -- the *maximum*
transmission size possible for a packet that fits within a single
ethernet frame on a 10Mbps or 100Mbps ethernet.

What are you doing in order to change the packet size? It's possible
that this has no direct relation to the size of packets on the wire.
Indeed, if freetds is sending 2048-byte packets, they *will* be
fragmented on ethernet, so I'm not sure how using such large tcp packets
will improve performance.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer