freetds - RE: indent (next shot:) )

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Castellano, Nicholas" <Nicholas_Castellano AT acml.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: indent (next shot:) )
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:31:14 -0500

The math was simply to illustrate how gindent actually deals with
indentation. There's no "formula" explicit in our indent settings.

Indenting expressions in this way really does add to clarity, especially in
complicated expressions that span multiple lines.

Once we are done tweaking all our settings, I plan to create a set of emacs
settings that will help indent properly (for our definition of properly).
Then it's basically just a matter of hitting "tab" to indent a particular
line.

I don't think anyone plans to do indent runs as frequently as you suggest.
Maybe once per release, if even that much. Make a reasonable attempt to
indent consistently, and you'll be fine. The idea is to have a tree that's
mostly consistent and easy to read, not to strictly adhere to a firm set of
rules upon pain of death. At least, that's my interpretation of what we're
aiming for.

Cheers,
--nick