freetds - RE: indent (next shot:) )

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: indent (next shot:) )
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:51:13 -0500

[tabstops: 8/5/none]

> I don't think this is a matter of taste.
>
> I don't understand why we would want to insist on enforcing
> that users must
> reconfigure their terminals to work on or even to casually
> peruse our code.

In the first place, my good man, that *is* a matter of taste. Anything that
affects the presentation of the source code and does not affect the running
of the system is a matter of taste. Let us at least acknowledge there are
no technical merits to debate here.

"reconfigure their terminals"? I've been editing code for 20 years and I
don't know how to reconfigure my teminal. I set my tabstop according to my
preference, unless the project mandates differently. I should worry about
someone who wants to "casually peruse our code" but won't set his terminal
to, oh, 90 or 132 characters wide? Really, this is a capital lame argument.

And, Nick, you don't agree with it yourself. Earlier you've suggested tabs
of 2 and 4. Lots of us would be happier with 4.

What I think is especially harmful is the way you're going about this. I
would have thought you would want to represent the consensus opinion in that
file, not your own. And surely you'd want Brian's assent, which last I
heard wouldn't seem likely, without tabs.

Don't you think we have an interest in comity, too?

out such orders and/or instructions.