freetds - RE: indent (next shot:) )

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: indent (next shot:) )
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:08:17 -0600

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 04:01:50PM -0500, Mark J. Lilback wrote:
> At 3:06 PM -0500 10/28/2002, Lowden, James K wrote:
> >Splain to me, just so I'm clear, is this right:
> >
> > if ((ret = tds_process_row_tokens(dbproc->tds_socket, &rowtype,
> > &computeid)) == TDS_SUCCEED) {

> Why don't we end it with making this:

> if ((ret = tds_process_row_tokens(dbproc->tds_socket, &rowtype
> &computeid)) == TDS_SUCCEED) {

> i.e. only use 1 tab past the start line for multi line statement indention?

Eeew, ick. I'm sorry, but of all the suggestions made so far, this is
the only one that I'm vehemently opposed to. The problem with this is
that your indented code does NOT line up with the associated line above
it, and it WILL line up with the indented code below it (if blocks are
indented with tabs, or if the standard indent happens to match your
configured tabwidth).

I would format the above code in one of two ways:

if ((ret = tds_process_row_tokens(dbproc->tds_socket, &rowtype
&computeid)) == TDS_SUCCEED)
{

or

if ((ret = tds_process_row_tokens(dbproc->tds_socket, &rowtype
&computeid)) == TDS_SUCCEED)
{

where #1 is my preference, but either is ok -- but never a tab, because
tabs are for indenting, not for alignment.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer