freetds - Re: How to compile SQSH with FreeTDS .60?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How to compile SQSH with FreeTDS .60?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:59:28 -0400

Jay,

You're at the edge of what I know about this, so I'm not going to be much
help. FWIW, I think you might be the first guy to use FreeTDS's ct-lib to
connect to Microsoft's server using a domain login. The ride may be a
little bumpy. :/ This we know for sure: it's not what Scott Gray had in
mind when he started sqsh!

If I were trying to do what you're doing, I'd turn on logging. I'd connect
with tsql, exit, and attempt with sqsh. Post both logs here. Frediano or
Brian or Steve would be the ones to look at the log and possibly tell you
what's going on. It could be something silly, you know, like sqsh getting
surprised by the backslash.

(Memo to file. We should support samba-style //domain/login as well as
\\domain\login.)

There's an Ethereal whatchamcallit for TDS; I don't know if that would be
any use to you.

Be aware that your password will be in the logs.

I don't think you're far away from getting this to work, but you might wind
up needing the latest FreeTDS snapshot, if a fix is required.

Regards,

--jkl

> >Not OT at all, Jay, a FreeTDS question. There might be some
> details (or
> >bugs), but what you're doing should work.
> >
> >sqsh works with any flavor of the TDS protocol or server.
> No limitation
> >there. Also you don't need -X because all the domain login
> work is done
> >by FreeTDS (and associated libraries).
> >
> >I suggest you try connecting with tsql first, to make sure
> you have your
> >freetds.conf set up correctly. If tsql works and sqsh
> doesn't, we'll have
> >some serious troubleshooting to do.
> >
> >It's important that $SYBASE was set correctly when you
> compiled and linked
> >sqsh, so that it finds the right FreeTDS libraries.

original message. Please note that for certain accounts we do not accept
orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and for those accounts we will not be
responsible for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. Kindly refrain
from sending orders or instructions by e-mail unless you have confirmed that
we accept such communications for your account. Please also note that to
satisfy regulatory requirements we review the outgoing and incoming e-mail
correspondence of staff members serving certain functions.