freetds - How to compile SQSH with FreeTDS .60?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Jay Sauls" <jaysauls AT hotmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: How to compile SQSH with FreeTDS .60?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 21:15:47 -0400

I have FreeTDS 0.60 installed and running nicely. tsql sucessfully
connects to my native-mode SQLServer with integrated auth. Very nice!

I'd like to use sqsh to do some advanced queries (espeically running
stored procedures). However, the latest compiled SQSH I can find for
FreeTDS on x86 Linux (located at www.sqsh.org/sqsh_download.html) uses
FreeTDS 0.52, which I assume doesn't have integrated auth support.

So I need to compile sqsh to use FreeTDS 0.60.

While perusing this handy url:
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/c1457.htm#AEN1461

I noticed a note in the instructions:

"After running configure in SQSH's directory (make sure you set the Sybase
environment variable first), look for the Sybase_LIBS definition in the
Makefile. Change the line to match this example. "

What exactly should I set the SYBASE environment variable to? I don't
have OpenClient installed (and I don't own a sybase license, so I don't
know where or if I can obtain OpenClient). Is OpenClient required to
compile sqsh?

Thanks for any help....