freetds - RE: postscript and pdf versions of userguide

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: postscript and pdf versions of userguide
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:18:02 -0400

Sam, all the rendering tools are free software. I noticed what you did,
too, that the "ink is a little high". That might be adjustable. As for the
lack of "liveliness", it's a result of how the pdf is formed. First, the
docbook is converted to postscript, then the ps is converted to pdf with
ghostscript. (At least, that's what I would have done.) Because postscript
is strictly a page definition language, it contains no notion of a "table of
contents" or hyperlinks per se, which is why the pdf file acts like paper.

Your observations are good criticism. I'm not aware of any better free
sgml->pdf converter, something that would retain/convert the links recorded
in the base document. But like Ross Perot said, "I'm all ears". If there's
a better way, I say we use it. In fact, if someone posts a better pdf file,
no matter how done, I'd put it on the website.

Regards,