freetds - Re: SQL Server Emulation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Rui Ribeiro" <ruirib AT computer.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SQL Server Emulation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:29:10 +0100

I really wouldn't like to start a passionate discussion over the subject of
stored procedures, but I
feel compelled to voice my agreement with Michael. We have a system used by
more that a hundred
people. The use of stored procedures was essential to achieve the adequate
performance. I don't
believe in making our users endure a low performance on the (very) remote
possibility that I'll have
to migrate my database system in a remote future. Obviously you have to
strike an adequate balance
between performance and portability, so it is not recomended that you use
proper care in choosing
what to implement as a stored procedure. But they are instrumental in
achieving adequate performance
in many ocasions. You just need to use common sense in your choice.

Rui