freetds - Re: SQL Server Emulation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Geoff Winkless" <geoff AT farmline.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SQL Server Emulation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:36:10 +0100

"Rui Ribeiro" <ruirib AT computer.org> wrote:
: Obviously you have to strike an adequate balance
: between performance and portability, so it is not recomended that you use
proper care in choosing
: what to implement as a stored procedure. But they are instrumental in
achieving adequate performance
: in many ocasions. You just need to use common sense in your choice.

I agree completely. The point I was making was that it's a bad choice to
base your entire middle tier on stored procedures - because if you then need
to port to another system you need to build a new middle tier.

Geoff