freetds - Re: SQL Server Emulation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Norman Palardy <norm AT kirais.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SQL Server Emulation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:58:52 -0600

> I agree completely. The point I was making was that it's a bad choice to
> base your entire middle tier on stored procedures - because if you then need
> to port to another system you need to build a new middle tier.

True, but that middle tier recreation is a lot less than having to recreate
everything that depends on that middle tier.

It really depends on how you create that middle tier.

if the procs are written to focus on function and not data then it's not so
hard to move it to another server since you can create those same middle
tier functions in the new db in some manner. An example in our case was
having a function/proc that returned a Scada Device record (measurements,
timestamps, etc) given a Scada Tag (its unique key)

If it's data related you may have a harder time

Having moved this app from Sybase to Oracle this was the biggest challenge
and it made it very clear in the areas we had not done this what the
shortcomings of our laziness were.

The portions that focused on functions were easy, the pieces that focused on
data were a pain.

We had to build a new middle tier ( the stored procs ) and very little else

had to change. And now the system can quite easily use either Sybase or
Oracle if we want.