freetds - Re: SQL Server Emulation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Antonio Ognio" <ognio AT peruserver.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: SQL Server Emulation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 03:36:21 -0400

Hello everybody,

Well, I must admit i'm very happy with your response. I believe
there's a need for this project and many people will be supporting at
all levels starting with you. Thanks a lot, I'll be bugging you with
silly newbie questions for some time.. hope to behave :)

Ok, definitely the real thing has to go in C. But there's a
little problem: I'm not really fluent in C. I'll surely study all
the sources and will do my best in learning more/hacking the C code
you're providing me with.

This might sound odd but I'll try to implement at least prototypes
of this software in PHP. I'm fluent in PHP and nowadays more people is
picking this language for coding stuff that's not a web app. Basically
coding PHP will be like hacking some Perl. I'm talking of course about
coding for the cgi/standalone version of PHP that you invoke with
#!/usr/bin/php -q.

I guess using PHP will ease enormously the client code to the real
backend. Also for SQL handling, regular expressions will prove useful.

I'm starting with the slow (for me) process of reading TDS sources
and catching up with the C stuff you have there. I'll be looking for
SQL manipulations to adapt original SQL to the backend.

I know much of the stuff you have in freetds has been gained thru'
experimentation.. also the source code should be the ultimate reference,
but any other docs describing the protocols would really help.

I'm the first person to miss I'm not a fluent/experienced C coder
but I hope to start contributing something useful soon :)

Thanks a lot.

Antonio