freetds - Re: SQL Server Emulation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Spectron Caribe, Inc." <spectron AT caribe.net>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SQL Server Emulation
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:59:05 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Langasek" <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 4:48 PM
Subject: [freetds] Re: SQL Server Emulation

> I don't mean to discourage you if this is really what you want/need, but
> wouldn't ODBC be a better way to accomplish the same goal? There is much
more
> code in the world written for ODBC than there is for any other single
database
> API, and most database engines provide ODBC drivers.

Not really, this could be useful. I'll give you an example. I have a Win16
app that uses ODBC to connect to a MS SQL 6.5 server. I also have the same
database running in Linux using Sybase ASE. I want to get rid of MS SQL and
use ASE but I can't because Win16 ODBC drivers for Sybase can't be found.
Recompiling the software for Win32 is not an option. If this emulator
existed I could probably use it to connect to Sybase without problem.

Faw