freetds - Re: FreeTDS v. Sybase CT Library

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Joey Smith <joey AT joeysmith.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS v. Sybase CT Library
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:26:17 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Brian Bruns wrote the following to :

> Two other points not brought up is that freetds supports TDS 7.0 used by
> Microsoft SQL Server and we are able to compensate for bugs induced by MS
> SQL Server under TDS 4.2 that break OpenClient on big endian platforms.

Again, you never know until you ask, right? :) I seriously did
not mean to call into question the validity of anyone's work...

> As for --with-freetds, I would recommend against that. One reason is
> FreeTDS supports both dblib and ctlib. The second is that if
> --with-sybase-ct no longer works, it should be freetds that gets fixed.
> We aim to be fully compatible with both dblib and ctlib. What would be
> helpful is for the PHP configure to dynamically figure out what sybase
> libraries exist. Such as, libsybtcl on Linux but libtcl on most other Unix
> platforms. Likewise if only libct exists, then just assume freetds and
> don't add libct libcomn libintl etc... to the Makefile.
> I've been meaning to do this but haven't gotten the time yet.

As far as libtcl v. libsybtcl, the process that the PHP team
reccomends is moving or symlinking libtcl, bcz of the obvious conflict
with TCL (Tool Command Language, IIRC), which is not a linux specific
thing by a long shot.

Maybe it would be best to handle the rest as you suggest...I
will see what kind of patches I can come up with in the next 2 weeks or
so (that is, if someone doesn't beat me to it).

> BTW --with-sybase-ct has broken more recently than 4.0.1pl2? Because I am
> quite happily running that version.

I know of at least one person who could not get it to build
properly, other than that, I have not heard any complaints. Not sure if
that means "No one is trying it", or "No one is having problems".