freetds - Re: FreeTDS v. Sybase CT Library

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS v. Sybase CT Library
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:05:13 -0500

> OK, valid points. Being a Linux geek, it never occured to me that people
> might be using any other platform and still want source code. :) This is
> why I asked. I hope to have --with-freetds patch into PHP before the
> release of 4.0.5 (it's too late at this point for 4.0.4). For those
> interested, just watch the file NEWS in the PHP tarballs.

Two other points not brought up is that freetds supports TDS 7.0 used by
Microsoft SQL Server and we are able to compensate for bugs induced by MS
SQL Server under TDS 4.2 that break OpenClient on big endian platforms.

As for --with-freetds, I would recommend against that. One reason is
FreeTDS supports both dblib and ctlib. The second is that if
--with-sybase-ct no longer works, it should be freetds that gets fixed.
We aim to be fully compatible with both dblib and ctlib. What would be
helpful is for the PHP configure to dynamically figure out what sybase
libraries exist. Such as, libsybtcl on Linux but libtcl on most other Unix
platforms. Likewise if only libct exists, then just assume freetds and
don't add libct libcomn libintl etc... to the Makefile.
I've been meaning to do this but haven't gotten the time yet.

BTW --with-sybase-ct has broken more recently than 4.0.1pl2? Because I am
quite happily running that version.

Brian