freetds - Re: Sybase TDS Specification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Jon Pounder <pounder AT inline.net>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sybase TDS Specification
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:23:04 -0400

I totally disagree with your assertion - copyright law is implied. It
grants no one other than the author the right to do anything. Distribution,
and copying, fall into this category. If the work is published, then
obviously referencing it does not fall into this category.

The GPL and LGPL remove a lot of these restrictions on copying and
distribution. The Sybase licence does quite the opposite, and goes so far
as to make referencing a published document un-permitted under certain
circumstances.

I sure hope someone from Sybase steps in soon and says "this was not what
was intended at all, we goofed with the statement", since in essence what
it really says is "anyone who reads this can't work on the freetds project
any more."