freetds - Re: Sybase TDS Specification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: Re: Sybase TDS Specification
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:11:35

I should have been a little more specific. It is not the entirety of
section 2.1 (which is the license grant), but the two items (i) and (ii) at
the bottom of this section which are unacceptable. I have re-read the EULA
and would feel comfortable signing if these two modifications were to be
made.

Regards,

Brian

On 09/15/99, ""Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>" wrote:
> Ok, I had no problem with the indemnity and non-redistribution clauses. I
agree that Sybase needs the as-is clauses to cover itself legally. The
two
clauses I have a problem with are sections 2.1 and 8.1.

2.1 because it conflicts with the GPL/LGPL licenses and prohibits the
addition of other similar protocols in the same library, which is overly
prohibitive.

8.1 because source code is a form of disclosure. If there were verbage
placed in there to specifically allow for source code, while restricting
other means of disclosure, I'm sure this would be acceptable.

These are the two show-stoppers I saw in my first reading of the EULA. I'm
going to have to go back and re-read it to make sure that the removal of
2.1 and the alteration of 8.1 is all that is necessary.

Anybody have any others?

Regards,

Brian