freetds - Re: Sybase TDS Specification

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Greg Beeley <gbeeley AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sybase TDS Specification
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:57:35 -0400

Hi,

> The license that you must accept to get the spec does not seem to be
> compatible with source-code distribution.

My "take" on the license (which I read and subsequently did not download
the TDS spec because of the NDA and such -- I don't like NDA's hanging
over me <grin>) is that it was probably designed to prevent Sybase's
competitors from benefitting from the TDS spec release. But, I'm not
a lawyer so I don't know either. My hope, though, is that there will
be a way for Sybase to release the spec such that it can be used by
FreeTDS freely and still be very positive for Sybase with regard to
its business model.

I was originally under the impression from earlier postings from Sybase
that 1) the spec would be made available early on under an NDA until
the license kinks could get worked out, and then 2) later on for
"public release". So, is this the "early release" or the intended
final "public release"?

Here's the snippet that gave me that impression:

"We can provide you (FreeTDS) with an early version of the TDS spec, if
you (Brian?) are willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement. While it
is written in intimidating legalese, the essence of it is to ask you
to keep the information to yourself until a public announcement can
be made."

I'm not a programmer on this project, but have tested the JDBC driver
and am curiously watching :)

Greg.

Greg.Beeley AT LightSys.org LightSys - Redeeming Technology...
http://www.LightSys.org For God's Kingdom.