corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT rogers.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Hebrews
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 13:21:22 -0500

George F.Somsel wrote: "Any conclusions regarding Hebrews which is based upon an early dating of the Apocalypse is bound to meet with difficulty.  I would rather date it quite late -- even later than the traditional 96 a.d.  I think it shows evidence of the 2nd Jewish Revolt under bar Kochba."

George, if Heb. can be dated to the 2nd Jewish Revolt under Bar Kochba (132 - 135 CE), why does the writer or at least the writing  presuppose  that the Temple and its service is still functioning which would place it in a pre-70 CE period? Would not such a monumental and tragic event as the destruction of the 2nd Temple be evident or at least discernable within Heb.?

Tony Costa, B.A., M.A., Th.D (cand)
Toronto, Canada