corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:33:40 -0600

John Brand wrote:

> I agree that mashiach is specific to Hebrew thought and although my
> specific point appears to have failed, the more general affinities
> among the quest of cultures is widely recognized. It is not uncommon
> to meet with the resistance apparent in the responses on this list.

Yes, and the logical force of this is what? There was a fellow named Garner
who kept saying the same thing when he proposed again and again that the
earth was hollow and was illuminated from the inside by a small sun. He
explained this as due not to the fact that his ideas were nonsense, but to
fear on the part of the academy of what else they'd have to give up if they
accepted his view.

> Oddly, the similarities I am suggesting are used by other schools of
> thought to posit a Hellenized Christianity which adapted itself to
> the Greco-Roman culture inorder for it to gain power.

How does "use" by conspiracy theorists to prove their theories show that
these similarities are, as you want to claim, somehow genetically related?
Such "proofs" are also used by those who believe in the authenticity of the
Protocols of the Elder's of Zion to posit a Jewish conspiracy adaptation to
its surrounding culture to take over the world.

Jeffrey Gibson

--

Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1