corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:31:28 -0500

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:50:28 -0600 "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
writes:

> understanding of the
>
> To which Jim West (I believe) responded:
> >> To what end? Would they have run down to the local Synagogue and
> picked
> >> up a copy? If they had, could they have read it?
>
> And Tim Gallant replied:
> > That is not the point at all. The first century culture was not a
> reading
> > culture, but that does not mean that it was not rooted in
> literature.
> >
> > In any case, when I said "Hebrew Scriptures" I was primarily
> referring to
> > the corpus known to Jews as canonical, and not first of all to the
> original
> > language. Forgive me for making the point muddy by using the term
> "Hebrew."
> >
> > I think it scarcely questionable that the LXX found wide usage
> almost
> > immediately in the Gentile churches (if not outright immediately).
> The
> > question is not so much whether the texts used from Eucharist to
> Eucharist
> > were in Hebrew or Greek; the issue is that the LXX (whatever its
> defects)
> > just as much as the Hebrew gives an accounting of *Israel's*
> faith, gives
> > the creational and messianic background to Paul's preaching, and
> everything
> > else one could desire.
>
> Tim and Jim,
> I think that this issue is very interesting for the interpreter of
> Paul to
> wrestle with. How did he expect non-Jews he addressed with the kind
> of
> argumentation he in engaged in, which was largely reliant upon
> Jewish
> Scriptures and methods (not to deny other interesting phenomena to
> explore,
> i.e., Greek rhetoric, philosophy, religious expressions, politics,
> etc.), to
> follow his arguments and find them convincing? All the more to the
> degree
> that one grants/supposes that most if not all of them were poor and
> unable
> to read his letters (but only hear them read), much less the passages
> in
> texts to which he referred or to which he alluded (including echoes,
> word
> and idea play, etc.). They often assume a level of learning that we
> do not
> accomplish after studying these texts and traditions for many years
> (and
> they don't provide the nice cross-referencing readily available to
> us).
> Moreover, even if they could read these texts, how could they access
> them in
> the pre-press age in which they lived, when such manuscripts were
> cumbersome
> [...]
___________________

While I would not suggest that the society of the time was literate in
the same sense that ours today would be considered to be (and even less
that of a generation or two previous to the current), let us not suppose
that the audience to which these writings were addressed were by any
means ignorant. To use an example outside of the Pauline corpus, the
Apocalypse abounds in references which are only understandable to one who
has a most intimate knowledge of the OT writings. If the hearers
themselves were unable to ferret out the allusions, presumably there was
someone there who was thus capable who would in turn explain it to the
audience generally.

george
gfsomsel