corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Linguistics and Conceptual community

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Linguistics and Conceptual community
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:24:49 -0800 (PST)

There are a number of things that should ne thought about in this entire
discussion. Etymology
based on sound alike is often called Volksetymologie in linguistics. If one
is to posit
affiliation between words in different languages, then one must note how
sounds change between
languages.

In the second place, it is not enouigh to sayk that ideas or concepts are
similar in different
cultures or religions and therefore are related. Some years ago Hildebrecht
Hommel of Tuebingen
University pukblished an areticle in the Wuerzbuger Jahrbuecher fuer
klassische Philologie 4, the
title I think was "Ad Astra per Aspera." He laid down some significant
criteria that one should
obseerve before one posits influence: One word is not enough. You need
linguistic field of words
used in a similar way.

Then you need to be able to show that such influence from one culture to
another is
chreonologically and geographically possible. The Mithraism of second century
Rome has little in
continuity with that of mukch earlier Persian Mithras.

If you read German and can find the Hommel article, you will appreciate the
difficulty of positing
cultural influkence.

Edgar Krentz