corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:27:04 -0600

Dear George,

I would say that you keep having difficulty because you fail to recognize that this is a group for the discussion of the Pauline corpus. This means that the focus is upon what Paul's thinking may have been regardless of (and perhaps in contradistinction to) what any other author in the NT may have written.

HH: That's not the way Pauline commentaries are written. They refer to other NT data.

It is not a list for the discussion of systematic theology which fails to recognize the differing emphases of various writers. Perhaps a list dealing with systematics would be preferable for you?

HH: There no ban on discussing what Paul means in relation to other NT writings. Just as in science we are not free to ignore data from one sphere of reality that might bear on our calculations in another, so in Johannine studies or Pauline studies, we are not free to ignore statements in other scriptural materials that might bear on our proposed interpretation of a Johannine or Pauline passage.

Another matter is what Mark has mentioned. You have a tendency to proof-text. You seem to think that it is sufficient to throw a truck-load of references at a person with little or no attempt to show how they impact upon the issue. This appears to be a phariseeism in the highest degree since you appear to think you will be heard for your much referencing.

HH: I gave several clear passages in in one post that state we are not under the law. All but one were from Galatians itself, and the other was Pauline. To me the matter seemed so obvious that the verses only needed to be read to be understood. Explaining them seemed like gilding the lily. I do not assume that people necessarily think of all of Galatians when they offer an interpretation on one verse. So bringing in other verses that they may not have in mind can bring clarity.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard