corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:20:44 -0600

on 1/19/05 2:37 PM, Edgar Krentz at ekrentz AT sbcglobal.net wrote:

> I want to say this as clearly as I can. Mark Nanos is a good exegete and a
> good interpeter of
> Paul. His books on Romans and Galatians have much to teach all Christian
> interpreters of Paul.
>
> In some ways I initiated part of this discussion with my comments on Pauline
> letters that do not
> cite the Torah. I want to say bluntly, Paul is not one who says Jews and
> Jewish Christians should
> not observe the law.
>
> I do hav e differences with Mark about the value of historical
> reconstructions
> of dates, etc.,
> sinced history is among other things a narrative. And a narrative depends on
> chronology.
>
> One mus respect variant readings of Paul, study them, and arrive at one's
> own
> conclusions without
> any kind of denigration of others. Hence my remarks abouut Mark.

Thank you Edgar,
I am humbled by your post. I hope you did not think I was taking offense,
rather than having a good discussion from which I thought we might all gain,
in various ways. It is a complicated game we play with history, but it is
unavoidable, since we must have stories to live and communicate, it seems. I
do appreciate your clarification and appreciate and take to heart that we
should approach each other and our different points of view respectfully.
Now it is perhaps time to get back to the work that has been piling up while
we played.
Peace,
Mark
--