corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "rabbisaul" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:06:45 -0700

PS-One more question. How is it deemed to be respectful of the other for
someone who believes the Mosaic legislations is now obsolete, and thus the
practice of Judaism, to use the word rabbi in their e-mail signature, when
there are Jewish people practicing that religion still, silly them/us, for
whom that title has specific meaning in designating the role of communal
leaders? Is this not supersessionistic in its meanest form, based upon what
has been expressed by the one using that signature?

Mark, rather than assume the worst about where that name comes from: it certainly doesn't refer to me, since my name is not, after all, Saul. The name, of course, refers to Paul himself. And no, I cannot see why I need apologize for considering him a rabbi.

More here on that point: http://www.rabbisaul.com/

Now let me add something further: believing what I believe regarding Paul, I nonetheless do *not* believe he "abandoned Judaism." He had a critique of many of his contemporaries, just as many of the prophets had. Coupled with that, he believed the Messiah had come, and came to recognize that that coming had consequences beyond what he had previously imagined. But he did not abandon either his people or the revelation of God which had been entrusted to that people. I remind you that you are responding one brief comment I made about one word. I am not going to reproduce my entire exegetical reading of Paul and the law in the context of this thread (and for that matter, neither are you, I am quite certain). Suffice to say that when I speak of Torah's goal being Christ, and that implying a termination of some sort, that termination does not imply obliteration, but a particular grand fulfillment.

Sincerely,

Tim Gallant
"not Rabbi Saul"

Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church

http://www.timgallant.org
tim | gallant site group