corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Luke know Paul's letters?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Luke know Paul's letters?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:39:44 -0700

Thanks for your summary, Antti. You and Leppä may like to look at Walker's
article, "The Timothy-Titus Problem Reconsidered" (Expository Times 92,
1981). He finds verbal parallels between the account of Titus in Gal 2:1-5,
and that of Timothy in Acts 16:1-3.

The problem that I have with Leppä's study is that it seems to limit itself
to Galatians. I find it hard to believe that the author of Acts would have
known Galatians but not the other letters. Acts has accurate information
about Paul's Aegean period(s), and the 'we' passages travel around the
Aegean and to Rome. Furthermore, Luke, whom tradition specifies as the
author, is associated in Paul's letters with Paul's missions in the Aegean
or further west. For these reasons I think it is unlikely that the author of
Acts would have known Galatians but not Rom, 1 Cor, 2 Cor, 1 Thess, Phil, or
Phm. So my question is: are there similar verbal parallels between Acts and
the other letters? If not, why not?

Billy listed the references to Luke. I would like to add Rom 16:21 to the
list. LOUKAS is almost certainly a short form of LOUKIOS. The LOUKIOS of Rom
16:21 is therefore probably the same person as the Luke of Phm 24. He is a
rather strong candidate to be the author of Acts. If so, the author of Acts
almost certainly had heard Romans at some stage.

Richard Fellows.