corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Luke know Paul's letters?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Luke know Paul's letters?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:33:18 +0100

> How's
this for a possibility? --
Luke did not know Paul's letters, but he did know
Paul's preaching. >

A difficulty for this theory is that it does not account for the existence
of a eucharistic element in the accounts of the Last Supper given by Mark
and Matthew. The authors of these Gospels are unlikely to have met Paul.
Another possible theory, however, is that Paul (having received the
eucharistic narrative in a vision of Jesus, as he states in 1 Cor. 11:23a)
embodied it in a liturgical form which circulated in the Gentile Christian
Church, and thus reached all three Gospel-writers.
Jeremias argued that Paul's formulation contained a liturgical element;
but he argued (wrongly in my opinion) that Paul's account and all three
Synoptic versions were derived from a common liturgical source and that the
eucharistic words derive ultimately from Jesus. If there was a liturgical
source, it was probably composed by Paul, following his vision.

The most likely theory, however, remains that all three Synoptic accounts
derived their Eucharistic aspect directly from 1. Cor. 11, building it in
different ways into their narrative.

Hyam Maccoby

Dr. Hyam Maccoby
Research Professor