corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Gaius of Derbe and Corinth?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Gaius of Derbe and Corinth?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:30:31 -0700

In Acts 20:4 we read the names of 7 men who accompanied Paul. The list
presents three problems:

1. Why are there no representatives of Achaia named? Achaia had contributed
to the collection (see Rom 15:26), and Paul had suggested that the
Corinthians appoint delegates.

2. Gaius (according to the best copies) was from Derbe, and this is
surprising. Why didn't Gaius take the direct route from Derbe to Jerusalem?
Why the long, expensive and dangerous detour via Achaia?

3. We have too many Gaii, even though it was a common name. There is a
Macedonian Gaius at Acts 19:29 and a Gaius in Achaia (Rom 16:23; 1 Cor
1:14).

Wedderburn (NTS 48, 95-110, 2002) has recently proposed that the Gaius of
Rom 16:23; 1 Cor 1:14 was originally from Derbe and is to be equated with
the Gaius of Acts 20:4. It is a nice idea because it elegantly solves all
three problems given above with a single suggestion. Too often NT
interpreters offer multiple solutions to multiple problems rather than
looking for the single simple solution that explains all the data.

Here are a few observations which I think further confirm Wedderburn's idea.

1. Corinth was a very cosmopolitan city so it is not unlikely that Gaius (1
Cor 1:14, Rom 16:23) was an immigrant. Quoting the commentary of Furnish,
"That Roman Corinth grew rapidly, especially under Tiberius (14-37 C.E.) and
Claudius (41-54 C.E.), is well attested by the many public buildings which
were constructed or restored during these years, as well as by what is known
of the political and commercial importance of the city in the second quarter
of the first century. ... the colonists were a very diverse group, few of
them Italian and most of them with ethnic and cultural roots in the lands of
the eastern Mediterranean."

2. Gaius (Rom 16:23) had a house and was therefore from the more mobile
upper classes. It is therefore plausible that he was an immigrant to
Corinth, like Prisca and Aquila, who also had a house. Lydia, from Thyatira
(Acts 16:14), also had a house, and she is an example of an immigrant who
became a believer under Paul's influence.

3. It is natural that Paul would hang out with other people who had
immigrated to Corinth, particularly when he first arrived. Prisca and Aquila
and Lydia are examples of immigrants who became companions of Paul soon
after he arrived in their city. We should expect Paul to come into contact
with immigrants, particularly those from the east who would be keen to
discuss their homeland and hear news of their home town. This thought makes
it even more plausible that Gaius was an immigrant to Corinth, particularly
as he was probably one of the earliest converts there (see 1 Cor 1:14 where
we are told that he was one of a very few whom Paul baptized: the later
converts would have been baptized by Crispus, Gaius and Stephanas).

4. We have some further evidence that Gaius (Rom 16:23; 1 Cor 1:14) was
mobile and had no strong roots in Corinth, for he probably moved from
Corinth to another Achaian town, probably Cenchreae. I have argued this case
before so I will not labour the point now.

5. If Gaius of Derbe was a resident of Corinth, it would make sense that he
would travel with Paul to Jerusalem, as he would be able to visit his home
town on his way back to Achaia. If, on the other hand, he was based in Derbe
at the time in question, then his appearance at 20:4 makes little sense.

6. Gaius (Rom 16:23; 1 Cor 1:14) would be a natural choice to represent the
Achaians. He would probably have been well known and trusted throughout the
Achaian churches since a) he was an early convert, b) he hosted the church
and welcomed visitors, c) he had probably lived in both Corinth and
Cenchreae.

7. In Acts 20:4 Gaius is paired with Timothy who may also have had the task
of delivering the Achaian contribution. It is clear from 2 Cor 8, where he
appears under the name "Titus", that Timothy played a big role in the
collection in Achaia.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Richard Fellows.