corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Luke know Paul's letters?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: <stephen.finlan AT durham.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Luke know Paul's letters?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:06:58 +0100

H Maccoby:

> A difficulty for this theory [Luke knowing Paul's preaching]
> is that it does not account for the existence of a
eucharistic element in ...Mark and Matthew.

Written 15 to 25 years after Paul's death, plenty of
time for the blended sacrificial/martyr/scapegoat/
redemption metaphoric gospel to have become quite
popular. There are quite a few intersections of
Mark and Paul on various themes.

> Paul ... embodied it in a liturgical form which circulated in the
Gentile Christian
> Church, and thus reached all three Gospel-writers.

Yes, I'll accept that. I'm not saying Mark or Matthew
ever heard Paul, but that Paul's formulation reached them.

> The most likely theory, however, remains that all three Synoptic
accounts
> derived their Eucharistic aspect directly from 1. Cor. 11,

Quite possible. What actually strengthens this assertion,
in my view, is that it is MISSING in so many manuscripts
of Luke, but PRESENT in so many others, showing the
redaction of Luke toward the newly standardized wording.

Finlan
Durham