corpus-paul - Re: Peter and Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim Hester <hester AT uor.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Peter and Paul
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:15:28 -0700

David Inglis wrote:

> I am disturbed by the number of scholars who base their
> evidence for pseudonymity on writing style and vocabulary.

Listers might be interested in reading Frank Hughes' paper, "Pseudonymity as
Rhetoric..." in the archives of JSRCNT (i.e., rhetjournal.uor.edu). Style
should be viewed in the context of the issues of invention, arrangement and
delivery. In that context, for example, I find it highly unlikely that the
persons listed in the opening greetings of Paul's letters are "co-authors."
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu
http://www.ars-rhetorica.net