corpus-paul - Re: Peter and Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: tmcos AT canada.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Peter and Paul
  • Date: 5 Jun 2002 11:20:22 -0700

On Wed, 05 June 2002, "Hyam Maccoby" wrote:

> Dear Tony,
>
> Thanks for your comments. Few scholars nowadays would see I Peter as the
> genuine work of the apostle Peter. Its style of Greek is of a high literary
> quality not to be expected of a Galilean fisherman, and its phraseology
> reflects the influence of the Pauline epistles. I myself would agree with
> the view first expressed by F.C. Baur, who saw I Peter as part of the
> post-apostolic attempt by one Jewish-Christian group to seek harmonious
> relations with the Pauline churches by presenting Peter in as Pauline terms
> as possible. W.G. Kummel, in his Introduction to the New Testament (p.
> 424-5), says 'I Peter is undoubtedly a pseudonymous writing ... 90-95 is
> therefore the most probable time of writing.'
>
> With very best wishes,
>
> Hyam

Dear Hyam,

Thank you for your comments. While I would agree that a few scholars may
doubt the Petrine authorsip of 1 Peter, I believe there are some who also
hold to it. The majority of scholars tend to agree on the pseudonymity of 2
Peter, but 1 Peter seems to be a bird of a different feather. The style of
Greek while unusual for a Galilean fisherman, would not on the other hand be
unusual for a learned and educated scribe writing on behalf of Peter, such
writing practices were common in the first century. As to the similarities
with Pauline theology, I think this does not necessarily lead one to beleive
that a Jewish-Christian group was seeking a harmonious relationship with the
Pauline churches. Is it possible, that if Peter was the true author of this
letter, that he had come to later agree with Paul?
Acts 10:43 contains a vicarious atonement theology in which the words are
attributed to Peter in his dialogue with Cornelius. Some text critics would
argue that Acts has been brushed through with Lukan interests that were
sympathetic to Paul. However, if the testimony of the Early Christian Fathers
can be trusted, (Eusebius quotes Papias on this point) that point out that
Mark was the disciple of Peter and that he wrote his gospel under his
(Peter's) guidance then we also have support for a vicarious atonement
theology found in Mark 10:45 (NASB), "For even the Son of Man did not come to
be served, but to serve, and to **give His life a ransom for many**." Best
regards,

Tony Costa

University of Toronto