corpus-paul - Peter and Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: tmcos AT canada.com
  • To: h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk
  • Cc: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Peter and Paul
  • Date: 5 Jun 2002 09:14:45 -0700

Whereas Paul saw the
> crucifixion as a salvific event, James and Peter, as believing
Jews, saw it
> as the tragic death of a human liberator at the hands of a
cruel occupying
> power, and as having no effect on spiritual salvation, which
was effected
> only by adherence to the Torah.

Hyam,

I am somewhat puzzled by your statement that Peter unlike Paul did not
see Jesus' death as "a salvific event". That is not what we find in the
Petrine letter, "and He himself bore **our sins** in His body on the cross,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you
were healed." (1 Peter 2:24 NASB) "For Christ also died **for** sins once for
all, the just **for** the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God..."
(1 Peter 3:18 NASB) The language here is clearly vicarious and in line with
Pauline soteriology. Best,

Tony Costa

University of Toronto