corpus-paul - Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: RSBrenchley AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 05:04:26 EDT

Loren writes:

> > In the Galatians passage [3:19-22]
> > God seems to have given Torah more as an act of
> > mercy, because of sin.
>
> Really? Gal. 3:19-22 seems to imply no such thing, and
> even in 3:23-25, casting the law as a pedagogue is
> hardly flattering (though it admittedly, implicitly,
> shifts the responsibility of transgression from the
> divine will to human failure).

I thought you might come back on me over that. The pedagogue metaphor
isn't flattering, I agree (would you expect Paul to be flattering?) but he
must have been seen as having a useful purpose, or parents wouldn't have
employed him. I see him as being nasty but good for you, or at least that's
how parents probably saw it.

What do you make of v. 19? The Law was added because of transgressions,
until the SPERMA would come. The picture I have is of the people misbehaving,
acting like a naughty little boy, until God sends this nasty strict fellow to
keep them in order until he organises a better and more permanent solution.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley,
Birmingham, UK.

RSBrenchley AT aol.com