corpus-paul - Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 03:39:41 -0700 (PDT)

Bob wrote:

> Yes, my description of Paul may be too positive.
>
> But back to your question on his view of Law in
> salvation history.
>
> When Paul arrives at a point in his argumentation
> that is absurd in his
> view - he simply stops and says so

> (Romans)
> - God is not unfaithful,
> - God may take vengeance,
> - we establish the law by faith,
> - we will not sin to provoke an increase in grace,
> - or because we are under grace,
> - the Law is not sin,
> - what is good is not death to me, sin is powerful
> against me but not
> against God,
> - God is not unrighteous,
> - has not cast away his people,
> - his people have not stumbled permanently,
> (Galatians)
> - Christ is not a minister of sin,
> - the law is not against the promises of God,
> - we do not glory in the flesh.
>
> These are axioms for him, not things to be proven.
> So if his logic
> implicates God, the conclusion is simply not
> accepted.
>
> This is a measure of his confidence.

I agree with you to a significant extent. Paul
generally exudes confidence and a robust ego. But even
the most self-assured missionaries have their moments
of doubt. I believe that underneath the "confident"
facade seen in carefully constructed arguments like
Gal 3:19-25, Rom 7:7-25, and Rom 9-11 lies a worried
theologian.

As to the rest -- yes, we will have to agree to
disagree. Thanks for your contributions to the thread.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com