corpus-paul - Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The purpose of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 09:57:12 -0700

Loren wrote:

>>Paul generally exudes confidence and a robust ego. But even the most
self-assured missionaries have their moments of doubt. I believe that
underneath the "confident" facade seen in carefully constructed arguments
like Gal 3:19-25, Rom 7:7-25, and Rom 9-11 lies a worried theologian.

I see where you want to go.

I have offered evidence from his hand of his character as confidence and
love of others. There is evidence in Luke of others' love for him. He shows
much evidence of worry about the state of his messengers or the state of his
churches. This is a worry of love not a worry of doubt theologically.

What evidence can you point us to, apart from your own thoughts on these
passages, to call Paul a theologian - let alone a worried one?

Was the term theologian even considered as a category or concept in the
first century?

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT home.com
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +