corpus-paul - Re: Jesus and death

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jesus and death
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 18:51:31 -0400

It seems so to me too.
In the ane immortality was the difference between being human and being a
god. To say Jesus would have lived forever implies Jesus is a god, not
human. But it seems that Dunn is saying that never to sin means never to
taste death. Since Jesus never sinned, ergo, he never would have tasted
death unless he decided to die.
But I would have thought that this decision to die occurred when he decided
to be human, prior to becoming human. But Dunn says that Christ was not
pre-existent. So he made this decision while a human. So I am at a loss
here.
How could a human being -- even if sinless -- make a decision not to ever
die? Unless I don't understand, entirely possible.

Thanks,
Liz