corpus-paul - Re: Romans 10:1-4

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Alexander LaBrecque" <evangelica AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Romans 10:1-4
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:56:26 -0800

From the outset of this thread it appears an unfounded premise has been
assumed to be valid. Even if it could be demonstrated that the Jeremiah
passage is in any sense a source for Paul's statements in Romans 10, it does
not follow that Paul's meaning corresponds to the meaning of the alleged
source.

Paul's explicit citations of scripture habitually appropriate the words or
phrases of biblical texts to express the point that Paul wishes to make,
without regard for any intended or contextual meaning of the cited
scripture. Paul's quotation of scripture may even contradict what is clearly
evident from the quoted scripture.

Example #1: In 2 Cor 3 Paul's usage of biblical terminology makes a negating
dichotomy between the Torah and the "new covenant" of "the Spirit," whereas
that negation is nowhere evident or even implicit in the alleged biblical
sources of Paul's terminology.

Example #2: In Romans 4 Paul quotes Gen 15 to argue from chronological
sequence that Abraham's status as righteous while uncircumcised negates the
obligation of circumcision for Abraham's descendants who are of the
resurrection faith. Apparently this conclusion never occurred to those who
transmitted the Genesis traditions for it is clear from Gen 17 that the
priority of Gen 15 did not negate the subsequent obligation of circumcision.

If Paul's explicit citation of scripture does not correspond to the meaning
of that scripture, how much less the meaning of a source to which there is
at best an implicit allusion?

In Paul's letters, the actual authority for his arguments is not scripture
but his own theological convictions (which he attributes variously to his
divine calling, the reality of Christ's resurrection, and to the Spirit).