corpus-paul - Re: justification: a pre-Pauline doctrine?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jon Peter" <jnp AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus Paulinum" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: justification: a pre-Pauline doctrine?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:13:15 -0700

Don wrote:

> My understanding is that Jewish missionary activity was not in fact
extensive in this
> era. Have you read Scot McKnight's _A Light Among the Gentiles_? Or
perhaps you know
> other sources that would dispute McKnight's findings.

I have not read McKnight. Unfortunately, I can't give you a source for where
I read about Herodian-era proselytizing either, because I can't remember the
book's title. It may have been Robin Lane Fox's PAGANS AND CHRISTIANS. I do
remember that the evangelism was launched in connection with Herod's desire
to raise funds for his grand building programs. The missionary work was
successful, but may well have ended after his death. Was McKnight's
description referring to Herod's time or perhaps to a different timeframe?

Best regards,

Jon