corpus-paul - Re: justification: a pre-Pauline doctrine?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: justification: a pre-Pauline doctrine?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:02:13 -0500

Liz Fried wrote:

> Interesting conversation here.
> What about the righteous gentile? When did that concept enter Jewish
> thought? Is it post-Christian?
>
> Liz

Let's be clear what you mean by this before we attempt any kind of answer. Do
you mean
a Gentile who would be recognized by a Jew or an authoritative body of Jews as
deserving a place in God's Kingdom? to be numbered among those whose names
could be
recorded in the book of life? who would escape God's judgement? a friend of
Israel? a
keeper of the commandments?

I suppose that if we stay with the concept of someone who is righteous is
someone who
will escape God's judgement against the unfaithful and/or enemies of Israel,
then
there is evidence in Rom 2:13-16 to indicate that this is a concept that
existed in,
and probably before, Paul's time -- in as much as he seems to appeal to it as
a topos
to prove that it is the doers of the Law rather than the hearers of the Law
who "will
be counted righteous" (DIKAIWQHSONTAI). I believe such a concept is also
adumbrated
in 4 Ezra 3:36, but I don't have the text handy to check.

Yours,

Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson