corpus-paul - RE: justification: a pre-Pauline doctrine?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: justification: a pre-Pauline doctrine?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:52:31 -0400

> Liz asked,
>
> > What about the righteous gentile? When did that concept enter Jewish
> > thought? Is it post-Christian?
> >

> Hi Liz,
>
> As I understand Jewish proselytizing during Herod's time, Gentiles could
> indeed become circumcised and agree to Torah. Missionary effort then was
> quite extensive.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jon

No, I meant the righteous *Gentile*. He remains a Gentile but is considered
righteous. I think it's in the Talmud. But I'm wondering how early the
concept goes.

Along with this I've been wondering about the notion of Natural Law. It is a
Platonic notion I believe. Conversations recorded in the Talmud between a
rabbi and a Gentile discuss the notion of Natural Law and compare it with
the Oral Law. The concept of natural law of course preceded Paul. When Paul
discusses gentiles who are righteous naturally, could he be referring to the
Platonic concept of natural law? If so, could this Platonic concept be
Paul's source for justification without the Torah? (I'm sorry, I don't have
my NT with me at present, so I can't give you the verses where he refers to
gentiles keeping the law naturally.)

Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies