corpus-paul - Re: justification: a pre-Pauline doctrine?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: justification: a pre-Pauline doctrine?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:59:28 -0500

George Blaisdell, after quoting from the exchange between Bob Schacht and Jon
Peter,
wrote:

> I am very seriously wondering if the PISTIS IHSOUS CRISTOS doctrine is
> Paul's independently at all. When he first was struck blind on the road to
> Damascus, he remained blind until he was taken to a member [Ananias] of the
> church that he was persecuting, where his vision was then restored [after 3
> days of total fasting] and he was baptized... Into Christ's Church, where
> the doctrine of PISTIS is the CORE teaching... So that IF he didn't get it
> in his blinding vision prior to Ananias, he would most certainly have gotten
> it with his basptism at Ananias' hands, would he not? And there is no
> mention of it being given in vision ~ Only that he is to take the message to
> the Gentiles.
>
> So I would have to guess that Paul received it from the Church, in which it
> existed from the beginning, and that he received it from Ananias who
> baptized him. [As well, righteousness by faith does seem to be the
> underlying thematic of the Psalms, which would make it a pre-Christian
> doctrine as well, would it not?]
>
> I apologize for my stumbling approach... I am very much a beginner...

George,

I'd like to ask you to re-evaluate whether you would come to the same
conclusions you
arrive at above in the light of two considerations.

First, your reading of the sequence of events you see as standing behind
Paul's
gaining/developing his "doctrine" of justification is is grounded more in
Acts than it
is in any information from Paul's letters. If you didn't have the Acts
account(s) of
the Damascus road experience(s) and its aftermath(s), would you make the
claims you
do.

Second, how do you handle the data from Gal. 1:1 where Paul claims that his
commission
as an Apostle, which presumably includes his message about justification of
the
Gentiles, is not derived from or through men?

Yours,

Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson