corpus-paul - Re: Paul as Judas' Replacement

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as Judas' Replacement
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:13:10 -0400

Don Garlington wrote:

> " Luke is contrasting the “before” and “after” of Pentecost. Before
> Pentecost
> membership in the apostolate depended on one’s temporal relation to Jesus
> of Nazareth;
> after Pentecost it depended on the possession
> of the Spirit. The choice of Matthias is set in juxtaposition to the
> selection of Paul
> by the Holy Spirit (Acts 13:1)."

The only problem with this is that Luke absolutely refuses to use the
nominative
"apostle" to describe Paul (note in Acts 14:14 that this is a textual
variant), and he
repeatedly uses prophetic call language and symbolism when talking about
Paul's "road to
Damascus" experience. When Luke uses "apostle" in both the gospel and Acts,
it refers to
the Twelve; in my view, Luke is the one who created the equation between
"Apostle" and
"Twelve."

Sheila
--
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

"It didn't take long to see morality as the quickest way to avoid
self-loathing."
Sue Grafton, "L" is for Lawless (New York: Holt, 1995), 205.

begin:vcard
n:Ph.D.;Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
tel;fax:216-397-4518
tel;work:216-397-3087
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:John Carroll University
version:2.1
email;internet:smcginn AT jcu.edu
title:Associate Professor of Religious Studies
x-mozilla-cpt:;17952
fn:Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
end:vcard