corpus-paul - RE: DIKAIOSUNH and Jews-Gentile Relations

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: DIKAIOSUNH and Jews-Gentile Relations
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:17:30 -0400

But
> >so far the best explanation to me for Paul's criticism of the Law is
> >that the life under the law, though it looks innocent, leads people
> >eventually to death. That is, Israel in the OT period was in fact under
> >bondage of the law, and they needed to die to the law in order to bear
> >fruits for God.

Mark Nanos wrote
> I do not share your view of how law works psychologically.

Dear Prof. Nanos, I agreed and found wonderful and fascinating everything
you are saying. It seems to me that it is Paul's view, tho, not the
poster's view, that the law led to death, or to sin. Paul says he woudn't
ever have coveted had he not known about the law against coveting. (which
makes no sense to me, psychologically)Perhaps you would explain your view on
this.

> I hope it is not inappropriate to suggest reading my The Mystery
> of Romans:
> The Jewish Context of Paul's Letter, Fortress, 1996.

I will definitely try to read your book.

> Regards,
> Mark Nanos

Best, and it is great evesdropping here on your conversation.

Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies
New York University