corpus-paul - Re: Paul as Judas' Replacement

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Don Garlington <dgarlington AT ica.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as Judas' Replacement
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:04:23 -0400

Dear Mr. Contabile,

There is a brief discussion of this in Dunn's Baptism in the Holy Spirit, p.
45. In
my class lectures I draw on this and make the following comment:

"As Luke has arranged his materials, what actually ushers in the age of the
Spirit is
Pentecost, not the ascension. The account of the ascension is the
introduction to
Pentecost. Properly speaking, the ascension is the end of the old epoch and
Pentecost is the beginning of the new. Luke highlights the ten day break
between the
two events by portraying it as an interregnum, in which there is no activity
of the
Spirit. “He has been active in the old epoch (1:2, 16), and he will initiate
the new
(1:5, 8), but in the between-time he is not in evidence.” To emphasize this,
Luke
relates the election of Matthias. The most conspicuous factor is that there
is no
mention of the Spirit or of dependence on him. Luke is contrasting the
“before” and
“after” of Pentecost. Before Pentecost membership in the apostolate depended
on one’s
temporal relation to Jesus of Nazareth; after Pentecost it depended on the
possession
of the Spirit. The choice of Matthias is set in juxtaposition to the
selection of
Paul by the Holy Spirit (Acts 13:1)."

Yours,

Don Garlington