ch-scene - Re: smoking-in-bars survey at NewRaleigh

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: smoking-in-bars survey at NewRaleigh
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:49:01 -0700 (PDT)

>>Hey Glenn, how are those non-smoking shows going?

It's too early to tell, but as I sit here at 506 waiting for beer
orders in room covered in cigarette butts, I lean more and more to
kicking the smokers to the curb. I mean, if a venue is respecting
smoker's rights to allow them smoke, shouldn't the smokers show their
appreciation by using an ashtray (and I'm staring at 13 of them!)

But the interesting thing to me is, it doesn't appear the musicians in
this town believe more people will come out to their shows if it's non-
smoking. Smoking at all of our shows is now determined by the
headline act and surprisingly, only one local headliner out of 14
total local shows has opted for a non-smoking show.

Again, I would say it's too early to tell about attendance and most
musicians who smoke are just choosing their personal preference. But
most musicians also had a preference for making money at their shows
until many realized they could perform in front of way more people if
they played for free. So if way more people do come out for non-
smoking shows, I'm sure the musicians will also change their
perspective.

glenn