ch-scene - Re: smoking-in-bars survey at NewRaleigh

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: smoking-in-bars survey at NewRaleigh
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:44:12 -0400

Because NewRaleigh always strikes me as kind of being the ghost of Kings, or in any case as sort of representing oldschool music-scene Raleigh, and thus I would've thought the proportion of smokers in that population would've been higher.

Plus the argument I always hear from bar owners is that people want to smoke while they drink, and/or that they'd lose a ton of business if they went nonsmoking, but this poll gave folks a range of choices, from "I only go where I can smoke" to "who cares?" and the *lowest* response was "I only go where I can smoke," with just 3.74%

We've had discussions here in the past where we determined (again un-scientifically) that at least some percentage of the nonsmoking population will skip shows if they're at venues that allow smoking . . . and I think that even a wild-ass estimate of that population would be at least 4%.

Hey Glenn, how are those non-smoking shows going?

Ross

Katherine Carpenter wrote:
I think these polls are amusing and a waste of time; there was one last week
about whether the cigarette tax should be raised, and this one, and the
outcomes invariably correspond to the proportion of smokers to nonsmokers.
Why would that result be surprising?
kc