ch-scene - Re: smoking-in-bars survey at NewRaleigh

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Gary Miller <gmiller.nc AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: smoking-in-bars survey at NewRaleigh
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:49:25 -0400

I was out in Seattle when all the bars/clubs/restaurants went
non-smoking. The original flare up from the owners and operators of
those establishments was that they would lose business. But, I think
Kevin is spot on here in relation to their actual experience -- lose
business to whom? People staying home and having cook outs so they
can smoke and drink?

Nope, surprise, surprise.... people still went to bars and clubs and
restaurants. And, in fact, some reported higher numbers since the
non-smoking environment actually brought in some new clientele.