ch-scene - Lozenge-

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryon Settle <ployntabs AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Lozenge-
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:45:49 -0500

is my favorite word. Anyway...on with the shameless self promotion:

Posted by Bryon Settle

THE RETURN OF OLD-SCHOOL INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC TO THE TRIANGLE!

Ever since Sleazefest went kaput, and bands like the Family Dollar Pharaohs and X-Rayons hung up their axes, your best chance of getting ones' surf music groove on in the Triangle was with your CD player (Ipods don't have much choice here--yet!). We, the obstinate members of Killer Filler, the Triangle's FINEST surf-soul-rock-lounge-instrumental-fuzz-guitar-organ-from-outer-space band, have sought to rectify this situation, bringing fellow instrumental bands to US, in what we hope will be the first of many shows, what we're calling INSTRO SUMMITS.

Our first Instro Summit (a mini-summit of sorts) will be Saturday, March 14th at the Cave in Chapel Hill, and will feature Killer Filler with Wilmington NC's The Noseriders. They play a ragged-but-right combo of instrumental surf and instrumental new wave music. The Noseriders have evolved from the remains of the Stunt Doubles, Wilmington's other great surf band of recent years. This will be their first trip to our area, and we're hoping they'll have a large, welcoming crowd. This don't-miss meeting of the minds starts at 10pm.

An even bigger Instro Summit-proper will be on Saturday, April 25th, again at the Cave. Starting at 8pm and will feature Killer Filler, The Noseriders, Atlanta Georgia's The Surge!, and Washington DC's Atomic Mosquitos. The Mosquitos recently got a stellar review of their new CD "Meltdown" in Pipeline magazine (more on this below), while The Surge! host an Instro Summit of their own in May, Atlanta's Surf Fest. KF will be in attendance at Surf Fest this year, and the Surge fellers thought it was only fair to return the favor. Again, both the 'Skeeters and the Surges will be making their Triangle debut this evening, and we're hoping and planning for a packed show. If instrumental music is your bag, this is gotta-see.

And this may not be all--if all goes well at these shows, another Instro Summit is already in the planning stages for later this summer. Stay tuned for further details.

"FILLER UP!" GETS RAVES IN "PIPELINE"

Not only did the Atomic Moqsuitos get a fine write-up in Pipeline, the United Kingdoms' benchmark magazine of instrumental music for over 20 years, but yes indeed, Killer Filler's CD, "Filler Up!" got equally enthusiastic raves. "A very satisfying set--highly recommended,' says Pipeline editor Alan Taylor, who also put our CD (and the Mosquitos CD) on their top ten "What to Buy" playlist. Speaking of summits, the Pipeline boys also host their own instrumental music convention--could this lead to KF playing with The Shadows' Hank Marvin in Herfordshire? Who knows, but you've gotta dig being liked by somebody way across the pond, a very discriminating someone at that.

---Crispy Bess
DeFacto Leader,
Killer Filler