ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of February 28, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <hepstyle AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of February 28, 2009
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 12:56:37 -0500

LOL, nothing from reverbnation. They just make it easy for a band to
promote their show in one place and have that update show up in many
places. Didn't want to leave them out. Full disclosure, their
profit-sharing endeavor has netted my band approximately six dollars.

I think one problem here is that there are conflicting perceptions of what
Tir Na Nog is. Chris books the shows, so in his mind, as well as yours as a
music fan and mine as a musician, Tir Na Nog is a venue. To most of the
rest of the people, Tir Na Nog is a pub. Looking at their website kinda
demonstrates this. Their weekly shit is up, the shows that Chris doesn't
book are up. The things that make Tir Na Nog what it is to the ownership
and many of the people who go there are fully represented: food, drinks,
traditional irish music. SO there's a disconnect and that should be
addressed. Very astute observation, and phrased in your typically "I would
like to see something change without sounding too bitchy or petty" way.
Well done!

I just happen to think that it is going to take a little time before all
cogs begin to turn in concert with each other at that venue. Meanwhile, by
now most local music fans know that something goes on at Tir Na Nog every
Thursday night, and they know how to find it if they want to. I don't
disagree with you about the website needing to be more accurate and helpful,
but I do think that complaining about it in this particular place/way is
silly.

Feel free to similarly foam about Bull McCabes not having put the full
details of their 3/14 rock show on their website yet. Schooner, Erie Choir,
Shipwrecker, Lynn Blakey, Zeno Gill, Greg Humphries, Regina Hexaphone, and
The KinKsmen. Music from 4pm until whenever it stops. No charge, raffles,
etc. My defense in this case is that their a pub and rarely have rock shows
and would like to rely on people like you, Ross, to help them out,
preferably without all of the bitching.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:44 PM, grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

> I can only assume you're joking. God forbid that random people be able
> to google a venue, find their website, and have a reasonable expectation
> of learning what shows are happening there.
>
> I have no doubt that Chris is doing an excellent job in communicating
> with *the bands*, and it sounds like he's trying his best to get the
> word out about shows, but if a venue is going to *have* a website with
> an events list (and without any links on that events list to a
> more-current MySpace page or whatever), then I would argue that it would
> behoove the venue to keep that shit current.
>
> It's cute to see you throwing a bone to Reverbnation. How many Green
> Stamps do you get for doing that?
>
> James Hepler wrote:
> >
> > But aren't websites outdated by now? Hell, facebook seems to rule the
> > roost. And reverbnation.
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Karen Mann <mannsworld AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Re Tir na Nog: Chris Tamplin updates his personal myspace page more
> >> than the pub updates its Web site. I don't remember the URL right off
> >> hand, but he's the "Milkman of Human Kindness" (and since it's a
> >> public page, I don't feel bad making that public here).

> It's
> >> bu=
> >> wil=

> >> http://lists.i=
> >> biblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene
> >>
> >> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --
> >> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

Der Weg ist das Ziel