ch-scene - Re: Jandek in Chapel Hill

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: djstevo AT wknc.sma.ncsu.edu
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Jandek in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:20:17 -0500 (EST)

Hey guys,
I figured that I should drop a few words in here, being one of those KNC
people... quite frankly, I'm unsure as to why the Pour House wasn't
letting people in at 8PM, and I'll be asking tonight to see why.

Part of the reason, I think, was that there were only a limited number of
walk-up tickets available, as there had been quite a run on our online
ticketing system, and we'd made light of this situation over the air and
on our blog. Naturally, with the kind of draw that that concert demanded
and the relative size of the venue, we stressed purchasing tickets in
advance, and from what most people told me, advance ticketholders were
allowed in ahead of those seeking walk-up tickets. If that wasn't what
happened and you weren't let in with your advance tickets, then please,
please let us know.

Regarding the simulcast, we must stress that the decision to simulcast was
truly a last-minute affair and, as thus, we weren't able to promote it too
heavily outside of our blog and, of course, on the air. Our original
plans were to perform airbreaks from the concert and play short snippets
of pre-recorded sets. However, as the event approached, it became clear
that training DJs to record and playback from our remote transmitter would
be cumbersome and prone to user error.

Thus, due to about 20 solid hours' worth of engineering work between
myself, our sysadmin, and our station engineer, we managed to pull
together a system to allow FCC-compliant live broadcasting (while rescuing
our web/streaming server in the process). We apologize for not promoting
it further, but the way we saw it was that it'd be an unexpected perk
that'd bring more attention and traffic to the show and the bands playing
it, and I think that that was exactly what happened.

If there were any further issues, or if you'd simply like to sound off on
your experience, good or bad, send me an e-mail and I'd be glad to address
them. Again, from all of us, we apologize for our shortcomings, and we're
exceptionally grateful to the groups who truly brought the rock this
weekend.
-Stevo
djstevo AT wknc.org